Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar and observed by Muslims worldwide as a month of fasting. It lasts either 29 or 30 days based on the sighing of the cresent moon. Muslims have to refrain from consuming food, drinking liquids, smoking and sexual relations; and in some interpretations from swearing.
- Arabic: رمضان Ramaḍān, IPA: [rɑmɑˈdˤɑːn];
- Persian: Ramazān, Ramezũn;
- Urdu: Ramzān; Turkish: Ramazan)
- Ramadan 2014 will start on Saturday, the 28th of June and will end on Sunday, the 27th of July, it has a duration of 30 days.
Please note that in the United States, Ramadan starts a day later.
Where does the word Ramadan comes from? It comes from the Arabic root ramida or ar-ramad, which means scorching heat or dryness.
- Ramadan 2013 started on Tuesday, the 9th of July and ended on Wednesday, the 7th of August, it had a duration of 30 days.