Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar and observed by Muslims worldwide as a month of fasting. It lasts either 29 or 30 days based on the sighing of the cresent moon. Muslims have to refrain from consuming food, drinking liquids, smoking and sexual relations; and in some interpretations from swearing. Eid al Fitr marks the End of Ramadan.
- Arabic: رمضان Ramaḍān, IPA: [rɑmɑˈdˤɑːn];
- Persian: Ramazān, Ramezũn;
- Urdu: Ramzān; Turkish: Ramazan)
- Ramadan 2015 will start on Thursday, the 18th of June 2015 and will end on Friday, the 17th of July 2015, it has a duration of 30 days.
Please note that in the United States, Ramadan starts a day later.
- Ramadan 2014 started on Saturday, the 28th of June 2014 and will end on Sunday, the 27th of July 2014, it has a duration of 30 days.
Where does the word Ramadan comes from? It comes from the Arabic root ramida or ar-ramad, which means scorching heat or dryness.
- Ramadan 2013 started on Tuesday, the 9th of July 2013 and ended on Wednesday, the 7th of August 2013, it had a duration of 30 days.